Last updated: 9/24/2009
15025 Washington St.
Haymarket, VA 20169
PO Box 1230
Haymarket, VA 20168
|April - December|
|Saturdays ||10:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.|
|Fridays ||by appointment|
Ellie Ivancic, Director of Research and Interpretation
The Haymarket Museum chronicles the story of a small, 19th century town and its surrounding agricultural community. Haymarket was established in 1799 and was well known for the Red House Tavern, built along the historic Old Carolina Road, as well as the Jockey Club, an organization that sponsored horse races at the town’s track. In 1862 the town was almost completely destroyed by a Union patrol that, sent to uncover a suspected sniper, wound up setting fire to most of the homes. Decimated by the destruction of the Civil War, the town nonetheless rebuilt and many of the buildings from the reconstruction period survive, as do the only two buildings that survived the 1862 fire. The Haymarket Museum is located in the old Town Hall, originally built in 1883 as the town’s school house.
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.