Last updated: 8/13/2010
1506 I-45 North Feeder Road
Conroe, TX 77301
PO Box 2262
Conroe, TX 77305
|Wednesday - Saturday||9 AM - 4 PM|
Suggested donations adults: $1.00 Children: $.50 Any amount is appreciated.
Tells the history of Montgomery County, the third county created in the Republic of
Texas. Features Dr. Charles B. Stewart, first Secretary of State to the Republic of Texas, acted as interrupter between General Sam Houston and General Santa Anna and is credited with designing the Lone Star Flag.
Home of the Griffin Papers, dating back to 1831 (can be used as in-house research) and certified copies are obtainable.
Life-size figures of early settlers who help to develop Montgomery County enhance visitor’s experience into the history.
Museum Features: Hands-On Gallery for Young Visitors, Student Workshop with Activity Sheets and Computer Games pertaining to the County history. Meeting room available for non-profit groups, Audio/Visual aids, photo documents are included, Outside Discovery Area includes vintage artifacts depicting county history. Handicap
accessible and audio tour equipment available.
The museum preserves the history of Montgomery County. Its purpose is to educate and instill pride of all residents. The Museum is multi-cultural and is the only institution
that provides and preserves the history of the county.
The Museum is housed in the Grogan/Cochran Home. These two families owned and operated 25 sawmills over the years. Their first to open in Montgomery County was in 1917, where The Woodlands is today. J. G. Grogan built this home in downtown Conroe. He and his family moved into it in 1924. A year later Mrs.
Grogan died and he sold it to his sister and her husband, the Terrel Cochrans. Four generations of Cochrans occupied the home until the last decendent/owner, Carolyn Walker and husband Andy, donated it to be used as the Museum. The home was moved to the Candy Cane Park in Conroe in 1987 to create the Heritage Museum of Montgomery County.
Primitive household artifacts. Farm, sawmill, railroad and oilfield memorabilia, photos, documents, maps of early county/Texas
Charles B. Stewart Papers; Griffin Papers which include original county documents dating back to 1831. These include land grants,
signed by Anson Jones, Sam Houston and Maribeau B. Lamar. Others include Stephen F. Austin and local officials.
Pioneer Days: a summer program for 9 to 12 year olds. A registration and fee required. The children attend a half day session, either in morning or afternoon, for a week. This program is scheduled the Monday after the 4th of July each year for three consecutive weeks enabling us to serve 120 children each summer. They dip candles, churn butter, make rope, wash on rub boards, make fossils, etc. And demonstrations daily of weaving and spinning, black powder guns, and Indian lore. Groups are required to have a reservation for guided tours.
Access: General Public, Students, Scholars
Appointment required: Yes
Published pictorial history of county in 1998. Quarterly Newsletter is mailed to Friends of the Museum.
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.