Last updated: 6/23/2011
1805 W. Indiana
Midland, TX 79701
1805 W. Indiana
Midland, TX 79701
J. P. "Pat" McDaniel, Director
Glenna Gifford, Administrative Assistant
Jim Bradshaw, Archivist
Nancy Jordan, Librarian
The Haley Memorial Library & History Center houses near 30,000 volumes related Texas and Southwestern history. The collections include material gathered by the founder, J. Evetts Haley, Clayton Williams,Sr., Dan L. Thrapp, Robert N. Mullin, and other notable historians. The Library maintains an archives of photographs, maps, documents, diaries, interviews, and correspondence that relate pioneer history of the Southwest. Highlights in the collection include the Charles Goodnight Interviews, which Mr. Haley used to publish Charles Goodnight,Cowman & Plainsman, published in 1936, and still in publication today. The archives is home to the Erwin E. Smith photograph collection, The Texas Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy Museum Archives, which includes the John S. "Rip" Ford papers, and collections of historical ranching operations archives. The library offers the J. Evetts Haley Fellowship Award to annual recipients that do research in the collections for possible publication. The library houses a permanent art collection that contains work by artists Tom Ryan, Joe Beeler, Melvin Warren, Tom Lovell, Charlie Dye, Veryl Goodnight, Mehl Lawson, and other notable western artists. The collection is representative of the American West and its pioneer expansion. Annual programs include the Foy Proctor Memorial Cowman's Award of Honor which recognizes contemporary cowmen that typify the honor, spirit, and independence required to be successful in the range cattle industry.
The Haley Memorial Library & History Center opened its doors in Midland, Texas on July 5, 1976. Cowman, historian, and author J. Evetts Haley founded the Library in honor of his late wife, Nita Stewart Haley in 1958. The trust indenture named a five member Board of Trustees to govern the institution. The building was built with funding from the Mabee Foundation of Tulsa, OK. In July of 1990, a dedication program opened an expansion of space that nearly doubled the square footage of the institution. In June of 1995, the institution obtained full public charity status. A permanent Endowment Fund was established in 1996.
Western Art; phototgraphy collections; glassware; archives; tack; western gear; Indian baskets & blankets; maps ; bronzes; information on early range cattle hsitory & frontier settlement; Spurs, Saddles, firearms, indian blankets, a bell documented to have hung in the Alamo that was cast in 1722,
cattle industry in southwestern & western U.S. Canada, Mexico & South America; Indians; Texas Rangers; county histories; photograph and document archives, rare and out of print library, Texas Division, United Daughters of the Confederacy Museum Archives, Dan L. Thrapp papers, Robert N. Mullin papers
We provide opportunities for local private and public schools to tour the facility. Volunteer docents provide assistance to teachers. Seventh grade social studies honors students are brought to the institution to research pre selected topics and prepare a research paper for class credit. The only fees charged are for reproduction costs of photographs, or documents, or photocopying.
We publish a quarterly newsletter that contains event promotion, and wrap-up, membership and memorial contributions, and articles of historical siginficance.
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.