Last updated: 6/23/2011
10215 FM 762
Richmond, TX 77469
P. O. Box 1248
Richmond, TX 77406-1248
$9 adults; $8 seniors; $5 children (5-15)
Guy Mays, Curator
phone: 281-343-0218 x231
Pat Rundell, Visitor Services Manager
Michael Moore, Executive Director
Orin Covell, Site Manager
phone: 281-343-0218 x214
Bryan McAuley, Director of Programs
phone: 281-343-0218 x278
Terri Stuart, Director of Marketing and Communications
Jeannie Bain, Director of Corporate and Convention Services
phone: 281-343-0218 x261
Donna Hoover, Director of Visitors Services
Mitzi Jackson, Education Programs Coordinator
phone: 281-343-0218 x220
Karen Stevenson, Marketing Director
phone: 281-343-0218 x258
The George Ranch Historical Park is a 480-acre living history museum at the center
of a working 23,000-acre ranch established in 1824. Owned by The George Foundation and managed by the Fort Bend Museum Association, the park presents the lives of four generations of Texas families that owned and worked the ranch: an 1830s Austin Colony stock farm; an 1860s plantation-ranch (under development); an 1890s complex that includes the mansion of the ranch owner, an African-American sharecropper farm, cattle pens and railroad loading facilities (under development), and a working blacksmith shop; and the 1930s ranch house and ranching complex. The park serves nearly 100,000 visitors annually, including almost 40,000 school children from 57 school districts in a 16 county area. Corporate and convention groups are frequently hosted. The park aims at providing genuine and compelling encounters with the past through hands-on programs, living history portrayals, authentic dining opportunities, and special events.
The park began as an effort by The George Foundation to preserve ranch structures
following the death of the last direct family descendant, Mamie George, in 1971. The Fort Bend Museum Association became involved with the project in 1985, and together the organizations prepared the park to open in 1988. Additions to the original structures on the site include the movement and restoration of the 1870s Davis House (1977), the reconstruction of the 1830s Jones Stock Farm (1992-93), restoration of
a sharecropper's farm (1999-2000), and movement and restoration of an 1860s plantation house (2001-present). A new Visitor Center was created in 1996.
Originally focused on school visitors and other groups, the park has expanded its offerings for general public audiences such that by 1999 it opened daily for all types of visitors. The park continues to be operated as a partnership.
Artifact collections consist of original items documented to this ranch and family and other similar items acquired by park. Some information and images from collection available online
at www.georgeranch.org/search.html .
Archives of ranch photographs and documents, most dating from 1880-1950. Photographs available online at www.georgeranch.org/search.html
Texian Gazette Newsletter - Quarterly
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.