Last updated: 11/11/2015
631 North Main Street
Schulenburg, TX 78956
631 N. Main St.
Schulenburg, TX 78956
|Friday - Saturday||10 AM - 2 PM|
Free. Donations Accepted.
Michele Prihoda, Board Chair
Wanda Carpenter, Docent
Opened in 1988 by the Woltes family to display historical events and artifacts of our rural past. Artifacts from original farming community and way of life in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
Exhibits depict life in early days of this rural German-Czech community.
The mission of the Schulenburg Historical Museum is to identify, preserve, and display historical artifacts and events in order to educate our current and future generations about the development of Schulenburg and the lifestyle of their ancestors.
The Schulenburg Historical Museum is a nonprofit organization under Code 501 (3)c and operates under a volunteer board of directors.
The museum is located in a building built in the early 1900s by R.A. Wolters. The building originally housed the Wolters Mercantile. Later, R.A. Wolters' son, Albert Wolters, is thought to have run a radio repair business from the building until closing shop sometime in the 1950s. Afterwards, an auto supply store is remembered operating from the building for the next decade, closing in the 1960s.
In 1988, John Wolters, a descendant of R. A. Wolters, and his wife, Karen, cleaned up the old building and established the museum under the name, Schulenburg Museum.
In 2003, under new board leadership, the name was changed to the Navidad Valley Heritage Museum. And, in 2013, the name was changed to its current name, the Schulenburg Historical Museum.
The building the museum currently occupies, plus an adjoining building, were gift-deeded to the nonprofit organization by John Wolters in 2014. The museum is currently raising funds to refurbish the additional building and expand the museum.
Arrow head collection dating back to 6,000 B.C.
Handcrafted farm equipment
Early ice-making Icy Ball
1883 fire pumper
Archival albums containing history datting back to 1857
Pictorial history of town
Collection of wedding pictures dating from 1917 to 1968.
Access: General Public
Appointment required: Yes
Annual report city and museum members
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.