Last updated: 2/15/2011
26526 NE Cherry Valley RoadDuvall, WA 98019
PO Box 385Duvall, WA 98019
The Historical Society opens the Dougherty House and the surrounding farmstead for public viewing, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places:
Contact us for special group tours throughout the year.
Free, but donation appreciated
Duvall Historical Society’s Vision is to: preserve, record, publish and promote appreciation of the history of Duvall, the community the pioneers knew as Cherry Valley, and the lower Snoqualmie Valley. We believe in the power of history and the preservation of our culture. Founded in 1976, the Duvall Historical Society publishes books on local history and sponsors regular programs for the public, including educational outreach at local schools.
Dougherty House History: In 1886 James O'Leary bought 162 acres from homesteader William Long. In 1888, when Washington was still a territory, O'Leary built the house but didn't live in it. After other owners, then John and Kate Dougherty bought the house in 1898 and the family lived in the house until Leo Dougherty died in 1983.
The house was built near the Snoqualmie River in a little village called Cherry Valley.
In 1910, railroads wanted the flat land where the village was located so the railroads moved the buildings, some to what became Duvall. The Dougherty House was moved up the hill to it's present site, pulled by horses.
With a grant from King County, the Duvall Historical Society started working on preserving the house in 1985 with a lease from the Catholic Archdiocese who owned the house upon Leo Dougherty's death. The house has a special integrity as a 19th century farmhouse since it wasn't altered in the previous 100 years. No walls, doors or windows were changed. The original woodwork and staircase remain as well as the exterior siding. One acre of the Dougherty farmstead including the house was named a king county landmark, and now is listed as a National Landmark.
In 1997, King County purchased the 26 remaining acres with Open Space Funds and gave it to the City of Duvall. The Duvall Historical Society has a contract with the City to maintain the interior and keep it open to the public. The Historical Society has cared for the yard plantings and refurbished the interior, fitting it with furniture and other items to represent the earlier era
Other remaining buildings on the property include the milk house and the bunkhouse where Kate Dougherty, then a widow with eight children, boarded eight loggers.
Artifacts include items common to households as it would have been depicted in the early 1900's.
Digitally archived photos, newspaper articles, and other ephemera from teh Duvall and lower Snoqualmie valley.
The Duvall Historical Society conducts offers in-class educational outreach, school, scout, and civic group tours of the historical heritage farmstead and house.
Access: General Public, Students, Scholars, Members
Appointment required: Yes
The Duvall Historical Society publishes local Duvall History books as well as a monthly Wagon Wheel Newsletter.