Street Address
522 Clinton Avenue E.
Big Stone Gap, VA 24219
Mailing Address
P. O. Drawer 1976
Big Stone Gap, VA 24219
Admissions
free
Museum Type(s)
Staff

Description

An historic house with local history exhibits.

History

In 1881, Jerome Hill Duff brought his family to Big Stone Gap then known as 'Three Forks' in a covered wagon. They lived near the rock quarry in a one-room log cabin with a shed built on for a kitchen. In April of that year, a sawmill was brought in and set up near their home. As soon as the lumber was cut and ready, Duff built a rough eight room house for his family. They moved in, completing construction as they could. When the boom came, more rooms were added to the residence, and it became the town's first hotel. The Central Hotel's first proprietor proudly displayed his name on a sign that extended up to the second floor of his business, J.H. Duff.