710 W. 11th St.
Kearney, NE 68845
PO Box 523
Kearney, NE 68848
Summer Museum hours
Sept.-May Museum hours
|Monday - Saturday||10 AM - 6 PM|
|Sunday||1 PM - 5 PM|
|Monday - Friday||1 PM - 5 PM|
or by appointment
BCHS members have FREE admission.
$5 adult admission
$2 child admission
Special Event Rental
Jennifer Murrish, Executive Director of Buffalo County Historical So
The Trails & Rails Museum has six historic buildings to tour through, as well as livery barn and an authentic Union Pacific steam engine and caboose. The archive building is used by researchers all over the world. We have acquired the land to the west of us and can almost double in size. Join us for several special events through-out the year! We are located on the original Mormon Trail Route (current 11th St.)
The Buffalo County Historical Society is the primary institution with responsibility to collect, preserve, research, and interpret artifacts, documents, and published materials relating to the history of Buffalo County.
Artifacts that have a Buffalo County, Nebraska connection are preserved at the Museum. The Buildings and Train are also artifacts.
ResearchCollections=All Buffalo County, Nebraska documents are stored and preserved here to share through research.
We provide a wide variety of educational options:
- Trunk Tales: A traveling trunk system with three themed trunks that can be borrowed for free (s/h has to be paid for by the borrower). The three themes are: 1. A life with a Pioneer Family 2. Life in a One room School 3. Life on a Railroad. The trunks have outfits for adults and kids; artifacts; hands-on activities; and plans based on Nebraska 4th grade curriculum. This was paid for by the Kearney Area Community Foundation.
- Wild Science Thursdays: Edgerton Explorit Center of Aurora comes to Kearney on Thursday mornings in the summer to have kids experience hands-on learning of science and BCHS ties it in with history.
- Ghost Hunting with the Midwest Paranormal Investigators (MPI): Classes are usually held the last Friday of the month during the non-winter months. Classes are approximately two hours long, followed by investigating all six historic buildings on property. This reaches new markets of guests and people are eager to learn the history of the buildings to know what questions to ask during the investigations.
- Wagons West Celebration honors the pioneers that came across the trails in this area. The fiddle contest has really blossomed with this event! BCHS is also blessed to have many cultural entities partner for Wagons West and provide hands-on family activities through out the day in all of the buildings.
- Trails & Rails Museum offers FREE school group tours. Call ahead, as the dates fill up fast for these! The first two weeks in May are always reserved for the Kearney Public Schools and the Trails & Rails Museum shuts down those two weeks for the KPS.
- The 1/2 Marathon is another educational event that gets people out in the community. The route takes people by many historic points in town and is a great fundraiser for the Society!
The Buffalo County Historical Society has a Board of Directors with twelve members that each serve three year terms.
Access: General Public, Students, Scholars, Staff Only, Members
Appointment required: Yes
Buffalo Tales is the newsletter that is sent to the BCHS members six times a year.
Special Event Rental
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.