Street Address
16 N. Front St.
Rio Vista, CA 94571
Mailing Address
16 N. Front St.
Rio Vista, CA 94571
phone: 707-374-5169
e-mail: riovistamuseum@yahoo.com
web: www.riovistamuseum.com/
Hours
Sa & Su 1:30-4:30
Admissions
donations accepted
Museum Type(s)
Staff
Martin Crane, President

Description

The Rio Vista Museum is located in a reconstituted blacksmith shop. The museum features community history exhibits, period costumes and antique farm equipment.

The museum opened its doors for the first time during the bass Derby in October, 1975. The Rio Vista Museum came about as a result of the country’s 1976 Bicentennial. People of the surrounding area contributed historical artifacts and the community has incorporated its own unique history into the museum. Volunteers make it possible to view the museum.

Gift Shop

We just received a shipment of John Callahan's new DVD "Hotrods of Rio Vista." He has included photos from his 2003 calendar of the same name plus many more, including some later models. They are available for $10 apiece at the museum. (We're open Sat. 11-4:30 & Sun. 1:30-4:30.)

We have a limited number of 4' X 6' cotton blanket throws on sale at $50 each. Historic landmarks are pictured on these beautiful navy and white fringed coverlets. Please stop by Saturday or Sunday 1:30 to 4:30 p. m. and ask to see one.

History

On December 3, 1855 John Bidwell’s 17,752 acre land grant known as “Los Ulpinos” was sold off in lots, to the highest bidder. This sale took place on the steps of the Benicia Courthouse. Among those who purchased lots was a gentleman by the name of N.H. Davis. Colonel Davis purchased six varies lots, for a grand total of $440.

Now that Colonel Davis owned several lots, from the December sale, it was time to do something with the land. He had bought this acreage with the intent to subdivide part of the land into a town, near the Patwin Indian village, of “Hale Che Muk”. In the fall of 1857 he came to his new land and surveyed a plat, on lot no. 3, for a town. The site that he chose for the settlement was approximately one mile below the mouth of Cache Slough. It was called Los Brazos del Rio (Arms of the River) because it was situated so near three branches of the Sacramento.

n 1858 a post office was approved with the provision that the name of the settlement be changed. “Vista del Rio” was agreed upon, and used for a short time.

Artifacts Collections

archives, farm equipment, costumes, folk art, furniture, history, photography

Educational Programs

exhibitions, fundraising, guided tours

    ADA

    wheelchair access, restrooms