Address
2601 N 48th Street
Lincoln, NE 68504
phone: 402-466-8692
web: luxcenter.org
Museum Type(s)
Art
Services
Gift Shop
Online Gift Shop
Staff
Susan Soriente, Curator of the Gladys M. Lux Print Collection

Description

In 1985, Ms. Gladys Lux, an artist and professor of art at Wesleyan University, purchased the former city hall building of the village of University Place to house the University Place Art Center, a nonprofit community arts organization. Her intention was to provide for the public a location for art education and exhibition. The building was also to house and exhibit her personal collections.

In September of 1997, Ms. Lux transferred ownership of three of her personal collections to the University Place Art Center. The collections consist of more than 1650 historical dolls, over 450 fine art prints, and a number of glass paperweights. Other Lux collections of her personal artwork, quilts, buttons, bobbin lace, looms, toys and antique furnishings were loaned to the center for exhibition by the Lux family. The Lux historical collections are in the process of being catalogued according to museum standards; during this procedure, selections from each collection will be exhibited for public viewing in the second floor galleries. LUX Center for the Arts is grateful to Gladys Lux for her generosity, vision and dedication to the arts, who by her efforts was instrumental in the creation of the LUX Center for the Arts.

Ms. Lux purchased a great number of prints primarily from two organizations. The majority were bought from an art gallery in New York City called the Associated American Artists. Started in 1934, AAA was founded on the principle that fine, orginal works of art need not be available only to a select few. Collecting in this country had been limited mostly to paintings, while original prints were sought only by museums and scholars. For this reason, artists such as Thomas Hart Benton, Grant Wood, and John Steuart Curry agreed to offer their prints to collectors throughout the country for as little as 5 dollars each. The prints were issued in editions of 250, individually signed, and not numbered.

The second organization was the American Collegiate Society of Print Collectors. It was formed in 1930 and sold prints exclusively to college art departments. The society was forced to suspend activities during the Depression years due to the financial conditions of many universities.

ON Line Art Sale

We have various artists artwork for sale online. Please see our website for details: click artists name to see their work and prices. Shipping and handling charges will be calculated at time of check out.

Mission

LUX Center for the Arts is a non-profit art center that offers experiences to suit a wide range of interests and tastes. We teach art classes for youth and adults in pottery, printmaking, painting, jewelry, glass, and fibers. Classes are held at the art center or can be taken off-site with the Art Van de LUX program. Exhibitions in two galleries and a gift gallery represent the highest caliber art work of local, regional, and national artists.

History

Previously known as University Place Art Center, LUX Center for the Arts was organized in 1977 to provide a cultural focal point for the University Place neighborhood. In 1987, the center moved to its current location, the old University Place city hall located at the corner of N. 48th Street and Baldwin. . Benefactor, artist, and arts educator Gladys M. Lux purchased and donated the building for arts education purposes. In 2000, the center purchased an adjacent building and created classrooms and studios to improve its ability to offer quality programs. We honored Gladys Lux by renaming the center to reflect her generosity. Now, with help from public and private funding, the LUX Center offers a broad range of art appreciation and educational opportunities for people in Lincoln and surrounding areas.

ADA

Wheelchair Accessible

Services

Gift Shop

Online Gift Shop