Street Address
437 Chilton County Rd 63
Marbury, AL 36051
Mailing Address
437 Chilton County Rd 63
Marbury, AL 36051
Hours
Museum hours
Daily9 AM - 5 PM
The Park site is open daily from 6 a.m. until dark.
Admissions
Group Tours and Programs: Contact the museum at (205) 755-1990, or alacmp@bellsouth.net to arrange a group tour and/or a group Civil War program.
Staff
Mr. Bill Rambo, Site Manager
phone: 205-755-1900

Description

Confederate Memorial Park is the site of Alabama's only Old Soldiers Home for Confederate Veterans. In operation from 1902 to 1939, the home cared for elderly veterans, and wives and widows of veterans. The site included 22 buildings consisting of cottages, a hospital, dairy barn, mess hall, an elaborate water and sewage system, and Memorial Hall, an administration building which held offices, a library, and a large auditorium. The home served between 650 and 800 residents. The majority of veterans served in Alabama outfits, but many were from other Confederate states and moved to Alabama after the war. The last veteran died at the home in 1934. The facility closed in 1939 when the five remaining widows were moved to Montgomery for better care.

Features of the 102-acre site: two cemeteries, Mountain Creek Post Office, Marbury Methodist Church, nature trail, covered pavilions, museum containing artifacts from the Alabama Old Soldiers Home, and uniforms, weapons, and equipment used during the Civil War.

Facilities Rental: The Marbury Methodist Church building is available for weddings.

In general, the theme of the museum tells the story of Alabama's Confederate soldier during the war and afterwards, including the veterans who came to live on this site which was once the Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home. We consistently receive rave reviews from our visitors.

Educational Programs

Teacher Resources: Download these pre-tour and post-tour activities for use in the classroom (link to the educational opp page - teacher resources - CMP).

  • Special Events: Annual Confederate Memorial Day Observance sponsored by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, Alabama Division, held on the Saturday closest to April 26.