Street Address
6420 Dempster Street
Morton Grove, IL 60053
Mailing Address
6834 W. Dempster
Morton Grove, IL 60053
Hours
thru Dec.18
Sunday2 PM - 4 PM
closed on Nov.27
The museum will be closed Jan thru mid-March.
April thru mid-June
Sunday2 PM - 4 PM
Mid June to September
Sunday2 PM - 4 PM
Saturday9 AM - 12 PM
Those wishing to see the museum on weekday, can visit the Annex on M/T or Th/Fri from 11am to 3pm.
Admissions
Free. Donations Accepted.
Staff
Mark V. Matz, Director
Melissa D'lando, Curator
Lauren Szady, Assistant Curator

Description

The Morton Grove Historical Museum was built in 1888 by Nicholas Haupt as a home for his wife and eight children. His wife, Magdalena, died before the house was complete, leaving behind her husband and eight children. After Nicholas also died two years later, the Haupt children remained together in the house until the youngest was of age. Third daughter Elizabeth married Mathias Yehl in 1901 and they raised their six children in the home. Yehl daughter Dorothy remained in the house until the property was sold in 1984. The Morton Grove Historical Society, in cooperation with the Morton Grove Park District, saved the house from demolition and moved the house from its original location on Lincoln Avenue it to its present site in Harrer Park. Currently, the Historical Society and Park District cooperate in maintaining and operating the Museum. The museum collects and displays artifacts of significance to Morton Grove, including those of the original founders and those of more recent settlers to the community — all who continue to enhance the vitality of Morton Grove.