Street Address
601 West First Street
Madison, IN 47250
Mailing Address
601 West First Street
Madison, IN 47250
Hours
Closed most state holidays.
Monday - Friday9 AM - 5 PM
Sunday, Saturday9:30 AM - 5 PM
The gardens are open year-round and are designed to have something blooming each season.
Admissions
Adults: $5
Seniors (over 60): $4
Children (3/12): $2
Children under 3: Free
Services
Gift Shop
Special Event Rental
Group Tours
Staff
Gerry Reilly, Site Manager
phone: 812-273-0556
Phyllis Stephens, Cultural Administrator
phone: 812-265-3526
Anne Fairchild, Education Manager
phone: 812-273-4531

Description

This Greek Revival home is considered to be the "Crown Jewel" of Madison's National Historic Landmark District. Completed in 1844, the house was designed by noted architect Francis Costigan. James F.D. Lanier is one of the most important citizens in the history of Indiana. He helped save the Indiana's finances several times, most notably lending the state over 1 million dollars during the Civil War.

Gift shop sells books, jewelry, glass, ceramics, cards and Madison related items.

Formal Gardens

The formal gardens south of the mansion are a recreation of the garden installed by J.F.D. Lanier’s son Alexander in the 1870s. Their design is based on a lithograph of the grounds from 1876. The plants and flowers here are those that were popular in the second half of the 19th century: heirloom roses, poppies, bachelor’s buttons, alliums, phlox and lilies. Plants in the mansion’s north lawn are a combination of heirloom and more modern varieties including weeping cherry trees, azaleas, daffodils and lilies of the valley.

Archaeology at Lanier Mansion

Archaeologists and historians have been active at Lanier Mansion since 1990, much of the research funded by the Colonial Dames of America in the State of Indiana and other grants. Researchers have discovered the locations of the former dog kennels, poultry house, green houses, cisterns, the original Lanier home (which faced Elm Street) and the carriage house. A reconstruction of the carriage house shell, built in 2003, stands on the original foundations archaeologists found during investigation.

History

The Lanier Mansion was a private home until 1917 when it was donated by Lanier family members to the Jefferson County Historical Society. In 1925 it was donated to the State of Indiana and became a state historic site.

Artifacts Collections

Decorative arts of the 1830s and 1840s.

Educational Programs

Teacher workshops, ourtreach programs, student programs on-site, public programs for adults and children.

    Governance

    State Museum-Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites

    Library

    Access: General Public

    Appointment required: Yes

    ADA

    Parking is available at the Lanier–Madison Visitor Center just west of the mansion at 601 West 1st Street.

    Wheelchair Accessible

    Parking

    Services

    Visitor center with public restroom

    Tours

    Guided tours start at the top of the hour at regular intervals between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. (the last tour starts at 4 p.m.). Please note that tours sometimes fill up. Please consider calling before your visit.

    Gift Shop

    Special Event Rental

    Group Tours