The Friends of Montpelier, a volunteer organization, working with M-NCPPC staff, help furnish the mansion through donations, tour fees, and fundraisers. This group helps develop and present a wide range of programs and serve as docents. Find out about membership to the Friends of Montpelier.
The Montpelier Arts Center on the Mansion grounds is free and open seven days a week from 10 am - 5 pm except holidays. For more information about art exhibits and artists in residence call 301-377-7800, TTY 301-490-2329.
The Reproduction Kitchen offers visitors a chance to see the work that went into the Snowden's famous hospitality. Learn about the skilled workers - enslaved, indentured and free - who enabled plantations like Montpelier to prosper, from those who built the kitchen to those who cooked the wide array of tempting dishes enjoyed at early Maryland's finest tables.
A fine example of Georgian architecture, popular in Maryland in the late 1700's, Montpelier Mansion sits on approximately 70 acres of beautiful parkland. Architectural and building construction details, as well as historical research, suggest that the house was constructed between 1781 and 1785. Major Thomas Snowden and his wife Anne, original owners of Montpelier Mansion, welcomed many distinguished guests into their home including George Washington and Abigail Adams.
Montpelier Mansion, a National Historic Landmark, is operated as a house museum and rental facility. Select rooms have been researched and furnished as they would have appeared from the end of the 18th century until 1830. A boxwood-lined pathway runs through the garden to the original 18th century summer house. The staff, in conjunction with the Friends of Montpelier volunteer organization, offers tours, concerts, festivals, re-enactments, exhibits, lectures, and seminars. In addition, teas are offered periodically. Montpelier Mansion is available for weddings, receptions, luncheons, and meetings.
Montpelier's construction began in 1781 after the marriage of Ann Ridgely and "Major" Thomas Snowden in 1774, each a member of prominent Maryland families. Situated upon a high knoll above the Patuxent River, the site commanded an unequaled view. Two firebacks in the house inscribed "TSA 1783," indicate the owners and probable completion year of the mansion.