Street Address
124 S. Commerce Street
Centreville, MD 21617
Mailing Address
PO Box 62
Centreville, MD 21617
phone: 410-758-3010
e-mail: info@qachistory.org
web: qachistory.org
Hours
May thru October
Open House every first Saturday of the month
Tuesday - Wednesday10 AM - 2 PM
Admissions
Open Hosue is free; Exhibits & events will have an admission charge. More info on the web site.
Services
Online Gift Shop
Group Tours
Staff
Mr. Jason Illari, Executive Director
phone: 410-758-3010
Rebecca Marquardt, President

Description

Wright's Chance - C. 1744 Plantation house At 119 S.Commerce St. & Tucker House - 1792,at 124 S. Commerce St. both are House museums. Office is in Tucker House.

Wright’s Chance

Wright’s Chance was built circa 1744 and is an early plantation house. It is listed as an “old building” in a 1744 resurvey of “Smith’s Forrest”, patented 1681. This type of frame structure was common during the Colonial period. The house is one room deep and two rooms wide, with a central passageway. Living space in the upper story was expanded by the use of a gambrel roof. The beautiful interior wood paneling and large fireplaces mark the house as belonging to a gentleman of means. The house is furnished with Colonial and Federal style antiques.

Tucker House

Tucker House was built circa 1794 and is one of the oldest houses in Centreville, standing on the second lot to be sold when the Town of Centreville was laid out in 1792 for the new county seat. It stands on the southwest half of Lot Number 4, sold by Elizabeth Nicholson to James Kennard in 1792. The original house is brick noggin construction with wood siding, three bays wide, and two rooms deep. There is one chimney on the north gable that served six fireplaces, an unusual feature. The house is an example of the double pile gambrel roof house of the Federal period, and it is one of the few examples which still exist on the Eastern Shore. The side hall and stairway were added in the first quarter of the 1800s, and the kitchen wing was added in the late 1800s. The house is furnished with period furniture and china.

Mission

To discover,preserrve and disseminate knowledge of history with special emphasis on Queen Anne's County and the state of Maryland.

History

Founded in 1960. the society owns two historic homes, built in the 1700's. Both are restored and furnished with period furniture and collections.

Artifacts Collections

Canton & Rose Medalion China, Period furniture, paintings etc.

Research Collections

genealogical files; Will books, Freedom records, Garudianship records, Historic Sites survey records etc... Please make appointment to come do research - Free access.

Educational Programs

lectures, workshops, tours. Library - check out books. Some have a fee. check our web-site for dates etc.

    Governance

    non profit - 501(3)(C) President and Board of Directors

    Library

    Access: General Public

    Appointment required: Yes

    Publications

    newsletter

      Services

      Online Gift Shop

      Group Tours