Street Address
2540 Farmers Branch Lane
Farmers Branch, TX 75234
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 819010
Farmers Branch, TX 75381
phone: 972-406-0184
fax: 972-247-3939
None, donations accepted
Museum Type(s)
Derrick Birdsall, Superintendent
phone: 972-406-0184
Joanna Davis, Curator
phone: 972-243-8569
Tony Derrick, Maintenance Technician
phone: 972-406-0184
Barbara Judkins, Museum Educator
phone: 972-406-0184
Kim Jolly Chapman, Administrative Assistant (rentals)
phone: 972-406-0184


Tucked away in 22 acres of open and wooded land, the Farmers Branch Historical Park is home to 10 historic structures that interpret life in North Texas from 1840-1940. The 1856 stone home of Dr. Samuel Gilbert is the oldest rock structure in Dallas County that is still on its original foundation. The 1870s Log House and single crib barn from Pilot Point, Texas were brought to the Park and restored to represent the initial pioneers to this region in the 1840s. The 1890s Chruch from Renner, Texas, represents the typical North Texas church of the period, and is still used for weddings and community meetings. The original Farmers Branch School, built around 1900, has been restored and moved into the Park. A Queen Anne Victorian Cottage, built in 1885 in Gainesville, Texas, was relocated to the Park and restored in 1996. The 1937 home of the first mayor of Farmers Branch, called the Dodson House, is our youngest historic structure. There is also a rare wooden caboose next to the Farmers Branch depot and a replica of a 1930s Marathon Gas Station complete with a 1936 Ford cab-over-engine truck that is part of Farmers Branch local history. Guided tours are available by appointment.


The Historical Park was created to establish, collect, preserve, and interpret the history of Texas with an emphasis on Peters Colony and Farmers Branch.


The Historical Park was dedicated in 1986 to preserve and share the history of the City of Farmers Branch. Historical Preservation and Restoration Board was established in 1981-1982. The Park staff has grown from one part-time curator to 5 full-time staff and 2 part-time attendants. The Park grounds have increased from 2 original structures to 8 historic structures and 2 replicas.

Artifacts Collections

3000+ artifacts from the 1840s-1940s, representing local and regional history. Some genealogical information regarding local pioneer families; photograph archives of regional focus.

Research Collections

1000 items of local information; some genealogical information regarding local pioneer families; photograph archives of regional focus; local oral histories

Educational Programs

The Historical Park offers self-guided tours during Park hours. Guided tours are available by not upon appointment. Costumed, volunteer-led tours of the historic buildings are available for large groups by special appointment. School tours are scheduled in advance for Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Teacher in-service days are offered regularly in August. The Historical Park also offers docent training sessions, monthly docent lectures, seasonal training workshops, and special docent trips to visit other historic sites in Texas. Special Events at the Park include: Texas History Alive!; Easter Eggstravaganza; Independence Day Fireworks; Archeology Fair; Halloween in the Park; and Christmas in the Branch.


Quarterly newsletter, educational curriculum guide, “Once Upon a Time in Farmers Branch,” “Pictorial History of Farmers Branch,” Docent training manual and Historical Park visitor brochure.