Street Address
3738 FM 2714
Round Top, TX 78954
Mailing Address
P. O. Box 11
Round Top, TX 78954
Hours
Monday - Friday8 AM - 5 PM
Admissions
General Admission: $6
Seniors: $5
Staff
Barbara B. White, Administrative Manager
phone: 979-278-3530

Description

Winedale, one of five divisions of the Center for American History, is a complex of nineteenth-century structures and modern facilities situated on 225 acres near Round Top, Texas, in northern Fayette County.

The heart of Winedale is its historic buildings, each structure offering a tangible link to our past through its architecture and furnishings and the histories of its buildings, owners, and occupants. Winedale regularly hosts students from elementary and secondary schools as well as college and university classes in history, anthropology, horticulture, and theater.

Additionally Winedale reaches out to the larger community through its public programs and continuing education seminars. Winedale sponsors public programs and events throughout the year, and its dining hall, dormitory, modern conference center, and outdoor pavilion are available for use by nonprofit educational groups for meetings and retreats. Winedale's Interpretive Center, located in the historic Hazel's Lone Oak Cottage, contains an exhibit that acquaints visitors with the history and development of the Winedale property and historic structures, and that introduces them to Winedale programs and points of interest.

Mission

Winedale's mission is to foster an understanding of Texas history and culture through research, teaching, and public service. Winedale preserves and makes accessible its research collections of nineteenth-century buildings and their period furnishings, sponsors public programs, and serves as a conference site for nonprofit educational groups.

History

Winedale derives its name from a German community that existed briefly after 1870 in Washington County. Local farmers cultivated grapes and the post office carried the name Winedale. Sometime after 1881 the village was relocated nearby in Fayette County along Jack's Creek, where it was centered around a residence once known locally as Sam Lewis's Stopping Place, and later as the Stagecoach Inn. Samuel Lewis died in 1867, but his heirs retained the house until 1882, when they sold it to Joseph George Wagner, Sr. Members of the Wagner family, including children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, lived in the home for the next eighty years. Today this residence, now called the Wagner House, is the centerpiece historic structure at Winedale.

Today's Winedale is the legacy of Houston philanthropist Miss Ima Hogg, one of the nation's early preservationists and a colleague of major recognized collectors such as John D. Rockefeller and Henry du Pont. Miss Hogg originally purchased approximately ninety acres of land and related buildings on the former Samuel K. Lewis Farmstead in 1963 in order to preserve the Lewis family home. Two years later, in the midst of her restoration of the structures, Miss Hogg donated the entire property, including period furnishings, to the University of Texas.

Artifacts Collections

Home furnishings.

  • Mid-1800s German cabinet makers furniture collected by Miss Ima Hogg
  • includes folk-art and art deco
  • Also some Pennsylvania Dutch furniture

Research Collections

Very limited family history. Archives are open by appointment.

Educational Programs

Lectures

  • Historical quilt collection
  • Mid-1800s House Museum exhibits
  • One room Schoolhouse
  • Spring&Summer Shakespeare Festival
  • 19th Century Folk Life Reenactment
  • Public forums-Master Naturalists,
  • County Ag Agents New Landowner
  • Astronomy Programs

Facilities

Auditoriums

Lecture Halls

Performance Areas

Governance

The University of Texas at Austin Briscoe Center for American History.

Publications

The Center for American History Newsletter contains information about Winedale; publications on permanent collection include Texas Furniture, UT Press, Lonn Taylor and David Warren.