Street Address
2198 Dixie Drive
Tyler, TX 75704
Mailing Address
150 Airport Drive
Tyler, TX 75704
phone: 903-526-1945
fax: 903-561-1608
e-mail: hamm2008@att.net
web: www.tylerhamm.org
Hours
Wednesday - Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sunday 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

Admissions
Adults - $5
Active Military - $4
Teens (13-17 years) - $3
Children (12 years and under)- free
Museum Type(s)
Staff
Mike Burke, Curator
phone: 903-526-1945
Ben Ferrell, President
John Mustard, Vice President
Bob Layton, Chairman Emeritus

Description

The mission of the Historic Aviation Memorial Museum is to pay tribute to the pioneers of flight and the patriots who were instrumental in the advancement of aviation in the 20th Century.

This mission will be accomplished through the collection, preservation and display of aviation memorabilia and aircraft for the education and benefit of the public.

History

The Historic Aviation Memorial Museum (HAMM) was chartered on January 25, 1985 as the Historic Aircraft Memorial Foundation (HAMF), a Texas Nonprofit, tax-exempt corporation by the Secretary of State of the State of Texas. The H.A.M.M. also received tax-exempt status by the IRS on August 23, 1985, as a 501 -C-3 non profit organization. Original goals of the Foundation included building an Aviation Hangar and Museum at Tyler Pounds Field to offer a permanent place for the display of both active and static historic aircraft and aviation memorabilia. In 1995 the Foundation was reorganized and new goals were set. The scope of the museum was enlarged to include the history of the people involved in addition to the airplanes which developed during the 20th century. On March 6, 2000, a simple corporate name change was requested from and approved by the Secretary of State of Texas to more fully describe the expanded mission of the organization; i.e., to present the advancement of aviation during the 20th Century through the collection, preservation and display of aviation memorabilia and aircraft for the education and benefit of the public. From then on the Tyler organization became known as the Historic Aviation Memorial Museum (HAMM).

The HAMM is dedicated to keeping the spirit of freedom alive, and preserving the memories of our heroes. By remembering and honoring the brave men and women who died defending, freedom we not only pay tribute to the people, we also gain an insight into our country's turbulent history.

When the HAMM hangar was first proposed in 1985, it was designed to house a PBY-6A restored by the Lone Star Wing of the C.A.F.. Unfortunately, the PBY flying boat crashed in Laguna Madre off Padre Island in October of 1984. Although seven people were killed three members survived. Even though construction was put on hold following the tragic PBY-6A accident, H.A.M.M. was not idle. A lease was obtained at Tyler Pounds Field, a concrete slab and foundation were constructed, and extensive excavation and grading were done on the site.

Several large items of memorabilia were acquired, including a WW II jeep and a 1940 La Salle sedan. The H.A.M.M.acquired two WW II aircraft. One was a FT-17 Stearman biwing trainer and the other was a PV2 Lockheed bomber. Without a Hangar, and no steady means of support, owning and maintaining the aircraft in flying condition was not easy, and both of the airplanes were sold.

For several years there was little activity, but in 1995 the Foundation was reorganized. New goals were set, The scope of the museum was enlarged to include the history of aviation including all developments of the 20th Century, and a plan for phased construction emerged. The first three phases consisted of constructing a 2,000 square foot Exhibit Hall to house donated or loaned aviation memorabilia that were starting to come in, a 2,000 square foot Multipurpose Hall to house our library, office, and meeting area, and a 13,000 square foot hangar. A hangar dance was held at Pounds Field with "big band" music, World War II airplanes, and memorabilia displays; proceeds from the dance were used to construct the facility. This facility is regularly used for monthly meetings of the Museum organization and serves as headquarters for special events. The hangar continues to be our restoration area along with hangar space for the flying aircraft. However, Exhibits were moved to the North Terminal Building in early July 2007. In 2006, the museum entered into an agreement with the city of Tyler to occupy the North Terminal Building which is the former airline terminal. The building was built immediately after World War II and reflects the architecture of the period. The agreement was finalized in early 2007 and we completed our move to the terminal building by early July 2007. This wonderful expansion opportunity enabled us to more than double our exhibit space, enlarge our gift shop and library, add a multimedia theater room, and provide additional educational programs.

Anyone who is interested in preserving the heritage of our country may join in the H.A.M.M. See www.tylerhamm.org/memberships.htm for more information. All tax deductible contributions and donations are also very welcome.