109 North Kentucky Avenue
Lakeland, FL 33801
109 North Kentucky Ave.
Lakeland, FL 33801
|Monday - Saturday||9 AM - 5:30 PM|
Open evenings and Sundays for private parties and special events.
General Admission: $7
Seniors (over 65): $3.50
Military (with ID): $3.50
Children under 2: Free
Teachers (with ID): $3.50
Kerry Falwell, Chief Executive Offier
Eddie Kleissler, Senior Director
Layla Cribb, Education & Operations Director
From globe trotting around "O" is for Oranges from Seed to Our World to grocery shopping & reporting the news in Our Town, families can explore 3 floors of kid-powered exhibits in this hands-on, fun-filled, adventure in learning! Mon-Sat 9-5:30 www.explorationsv.com
Explorations V Children’s Museum provides a hands-on, fun-filled
adventure in learning for children and families through cultural exhibits,
educational programs and events in the arts & sciences.
Located in the historic Kress building in the heart of downtown Lakeland, we celebrate the five senses ("V") by fostering creativity, encouraging imaginative play and devising cultural learning opportunities for families.
Explorations V Children's Museum is a family magnet! Located in the heart of historic downtown Lakeland, the Museum was founded on the premise that children, like adults, use all 5 senses to explore & learn about the world around them, hence the "V" in the name. The Museum opened in 1991 in a small storefront and in 1998 purchased the four-story, 28,000 square foot, historic, S.H. Kress building, built in 1929.
The Museum displays an average of forty exhibits on three floors. Each floor is themed: permanent exhibits occupy "Our World" on the lower floor and "Our Town" on the main floor, while art exhibitions, science exhibits and traveling and/or temporary exhibits occupy the second floor. Permanent interactive exhibits include:
* Impressions Series: African Hut, Artifacts; Australian Lingo Game, Artwork; Asian Tea House
* Theatre: Stage, Puppets, Costumes, Scripts, Musical Instruments, Theatre Seating
* "O" is for Orange - from Seed to Our World: Florida Orange Grove and Juice Factory
* Water Matters: Working Model of Earth's Continuous Water Cycle
* News Station: Weather Instruments, News Desk, Scripts, Cameras, Video Screens
* Marvelous Me!: Health & Wellness Clinic with Healthcare Equipment, Instruments
* Explore Store: Grocery Store with Working Registers, Stocked Shelves, Grocery Carts, Career Kiosk
* Mega Mike: Wentzscope Microscope, Magnifying Bar, Magnifying Glasses
* Transportation Vehicles: Fire Engine, Sheriff's Car, Airplane, Boat, Hot Air Balloon, Space Shuttle
* Florida Cottage: Facade & Porch, Rocker, Home Implements
* Raceways: The Physics of Movement & Design with Ball Runs, Rubber Band Design
* Go Green!: Recycling House
* Tot Spot: Educational Toys, Books, Tree House
Noteworthy pieces curated by the Museum include:
*"Celebrating Who I Am", a VSA collection of artwork by youth artists with disabilities, one from each state, acquired from the Kennedy Center
* "Animation Station", a collection of forty-one original Disney animation cels, acquired from Walt Disney World
* "Swanna Play?", a three-dimensional five foot tall fiberglass swan commissioned by the Museum as part of the highly successful community public art project and fundraiser "Swansation"
* "D.O.T., the Dragon of Toys", a three-dimensional thirty foot long sculpture of a whimsical dragon made of recycled toys which hovers above the main floor to greet visitors as they enter the Museum
* "Impressions ", authentic cultural artifacts from Japan and Africa in our "Impressions" Gallery
*"Families through the Decades" and "People & Animals of the World", wall murals painted by a professional artist
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.