Last updated: 5/1/2008
15 Race Street
Upland, PA 19015
P.O. Box 1183
Upland, PA 19015
May through October on weekends from 1:00 to 4:00 PM and by appointment all other dates and times.
Harold R Peden, FCPH President
Built in 1683 and occupied by Caleb Pusey, this is the only building still standing which can claim documented association with William Penn, and which he is known to have visited on several occasions. The cottage was continuously occupied as a residence from 1682 through 1959. Our group was organized in 1960 to undertake restoration of the house and property which by then had deteriorated to the point of imminent collapse. With the successful restoration and a significant archeaological project, we have continued to offer education and scholarly opportunities to our constituencies. We continue to expand our laboratory facilities and are computerizing our artifact and collection catalogs.
The Friends of the Caleb Pusey House secured the support of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission in the project to restore the Pusey House. During the late 1960's and early 1970's, we worked with the Archaeological Society of Delaware to organize and carry out a detailed dig and documentation of recovered artifacts dating from 1680's through the modern times. These are housed and stored in our Schoolhouse Museum which is next to the Pusey House. Today the organization continues to maintain the house, which is authentically furnished with pieces from the early colonial period and is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. The organization also offers frequent programs and activities of historic interest, which are open to the public and operates a museum and gift shop for visitors to the site.
Late 17th Century Furniture and Household implements and accessories.
Recovered artifacts (in excess of 1 million)catalogued and housed appropriately. Items from this collection are available for academic study and identification projects.
Past summer programs on Colonial Crafts of the 17th and 18th Centuries. Active participation in local school district and historic society activities for education of school students. Program currently being developed by our organization creating interactive experiences for 4th and 5th grade students as a part of a "Passport to History" program.
Property and buildings are privately held by the organization. Operations overseen by the FCPH board of directors through elected officers.
Access: Scholars, Members
Appointment required: Yes
"The Weathervane" newsletter. Twice per year typically.
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.