Street Address
105 Cincinnati Avenue
Lebanon, OH 45036
Mailing Address
105 SOUTH BROADWAY
Lebanon, OH 45036
Hours
Open the first Wednesday of June through the last Sunday of October
Sunday, Wednesday - Saturday12 PM - 4 PM
Glendower is closed Mondays, Tuesdays and holidays.
Open weekends only after Labor Day.
Sunday, Saturday12 PM - 4 PM
Christmas at Glendower: December dates vary.
Admissions
Admission is $5 for adults, $4.50 for seniors and $3.50 for students ages 5-18. Family rate is $15 for parents with up to four children.
Staff
Victoria Van Harlingen, Executive Director

Description

Glendower’s lawn maintains a very sophisticated social presence and is available for event rentals. Call the society at 513-932-1817 for information.

Ask about Decoration Day at Glendower: Imagine its May 24, 1865. As the great American Civil War comes to a close, we here in Ohio are mourning the assassination of President Lincoln and the death of all our brave men and boys who died in the recent Civil War. In the states where major battles occurred such as Pennsylvania in the north and Virginia and Georgia in the south, the wives, mothers, daughters and sisters of the slain have been tending the graves of the soldiers, cleaning up weeds and debris and placing flowers on the graves of all soldiers; be they Union or Confederate. Dates vary each year.

Ask about Tree Planting At Glendower: In celebration of Arbor Day members of the Warren County Historical Society planted a tree on the lawn of Glendower mansion. Glendower sits on over four acres of tree covered lawn just south of downtown Lebanon. Many of its trees are already listed on Ohio’s historic tree list. Time and recent storms has have brought several of the old trees down. The new tree was planted in honor of one of the Warren County Historical Society’s long time volunteers and supporters, Dr. George Van Harlingen. Dr. Van Harlingen has been an avid tree planter for many years. He particularly loves the tulip poplar tree. This particular cultivar will grow 50 to 75 feet tall and will bloom each spring with a lovely tulip shaped blossom. A seed pod will form in the fall and the leaves will turn a beautiful gold color. Particular to this tree is its variegated leaf.

Civil War Exhibit: lendower mansion is often referred to as a northern antebellum Greek revival mansion. That means it was built in the grand manor of the southern plantation houses before the Civil War. In honor of the sesquicentennial of the beginning of the American Civil War, Glendower has a special display of Warren County artifacts from its soldiers who fought in that war. The display includes letters, reports, photos, soldier’s equipment and much more. Curator Mary Klei reviewed many items in the Historical Society’s collection and chose those she thought best told the soldier’s story. The exhibit holds many items that refer to the Battle of Chickamauga. Many of our Warren County soldiers participated in that battle. Some, like Captain Oliver Parshall, were killed at the battle. Others, like General Durbin Ward who was the second owner of Glendower, were wounded so badly that they were mustered out of the service. The exhibit will remain on display throughout 2009, giving visitors to Glendower a sense of the effects of the Civil War on Warren County residents 150 years ago.

Located on a hill overlooking downtown Lebanon, Glendower is one of the finest examples of residential Greek Revival architecture found in Ohio. This historic mansion was erected between 1836 and 1840, and was given the name “Glendower” by its original owner, John Milton Williams, to honor the Welsh prince and hero Owen Glendower. The house has had other illustrious owners, most notably Durbin Ward, a distinguished attorney, statesman and Civil War general. This home has been called “one of the finest examples of the Greek Revival architecture style in the Middle West”.

The mansion’s exterior features include Ionic and Doric columns, classic carved cornices and porticoes and a hipped roof with a captain’s walk. The stately interior provides a natural setting for many elegant Empire and Victorian furnishings from Warren County’s past.

History

In 1945, Glendower became the first home of the Warren County Historical Society. In a joint operating agreement with the Ohio Historical Society, Glendower is open on a seasonal basis and staffed by museum volunteers. In 2007, Ohio Historical Society turned over full control of the structure to the Warren County Historical Society.