Street Address
115 Newgate Road
East Granby, CT 06026
Mailing Address
P.O.Box 254
East Granby, CT 06026
phone: 860-653-3563
web: www.cultureandtourism.org
Hours
To be announced when the museum re-opens spring 2011
Admissions
$10 adults; $8 seniors & college students with ID; $6 youth (6-17); 5 & under free
Services
Gift Shop
Group Tours
Staff
Karin Peterson, Museum Director
phone: 860-653-3563
Lance Kozikowski, Museum Assistant

Description

The presence of copper ore on the site was noted in 1705 and it became one of the first commercial mines in the British Colonies. It was not a money-making venture, however, and work was abandoned in the 1750's.

Visitors enter the prison yard through 12' tall walls. The brick guardhouse still stands and houses exhibits, but only ruins remain of the other prison buildings. A modern stairway provides access underground where air temperature is always in the 50's. The visitor center contains a gift shop.

CLOSED FOR RESTORATION

The underground tunnels of an abandoned copper mine began to be used as a prison in Dec 1773. Over 800 inmates were confined here until the facility was closed in 1827.

History

Acquired by the State in order to ensure its preservation and access by the public.

ADA

Wheelchair Accessible

Services

Gift Shop

Group Tours