Street Address
1848 SR 28
Goshen, OH 45122
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 671
Goshen, OH 45122
phone: 513-575-1027
e-mail: goshenhistory@gmail.com
web: www.goshenhistory.org/
Hours
The Anchorage
Tuesday10 AM - 12 PM
The Anchorage and the Log Cabin at the Marr Education Center at Cook Farm are open by appointment and available for group tours, meetings and events. Contact the Historical Society for details.
Services
Special Event Rental
Group Tours
Staff
Sue Golden, President

Description

Museum & Marr Education Center

Now the home of the Goshen Township Historical Society, it was the Hawkins family who christened the house "The Anchorage" during their residence in the 1940's. The house' history, however, began more than 100 years earlier as a humble farmhouse. In fact, The Anchorage is one of four stone houses built in the area at about the same time. Today only three remain.

Benjamin Thacker is believed to be the first owner of the house, which was built sometime between 1825-1830. Constructed of limestone quarried from O'Bannon Creek, the walls of the house are 10-12 inches thick, with chimneys built inside for warmth. There were originally three rooms up and three rooms down, including a large "keeping room," three fireplaces on the first floor and one on the second. A full basement with rock foundation runs under the front or main part of the house.

Dr. Daniel Lyman lived in the house during the late 1800's until his death in 1910. He added a frame addition of three rooms for a laboratory and office (called a surgery) at the rear of the building. Later owners made additions and improvements but were careful not to significantly alter the home's architectural integrity. The Anchorage is the setting for many community events throughout the year.

Stroup-Cook Log Cabin, circa 1804

Located next to Goshen High School, the Stroup-Cook log cabin is owned by the Goshen School District and will be operated by the Goshen Township Historical Society. The Society has restored the house to the original early 1800's authenticity as a part of our community's history and heritage, and as an educational facility for the students of the school district.

It is believed the log cabin was built around 1804 by German crafts men for Jacob Stroup. The house and farm were purchased by James Cook in 1875. The Cooks lived and farmed this property in Goshen for over 100 years. Miss Aurelia E. Cook, heir and member of the original Cook family, was a revered teacher in the Goshen School system. Miss Cook devoted her life to the education of the Goshen community. She lived on the farm in the log house (which received additions and many other modifications over time) until her death in 1995. It is interesting that the Goshen's schools, to which Miss Cook devoted her life, can be viewed from her old family home.

This site, now called the Marr Education Center at Cook Farm, will become a focal point of our school system and community. The Historical Society operates the site for tours, reenactments and education symposiums.

Services

GTHS Membership

Membership dues start as low as $3 for students and $15 for a family. Your membership includes our newsletter "Keepers of the Past," as well as social and educational activities sponsored by the Society throughout the year.

Tours, Meetings and Rentals

The Anchorage and the Log Cabin at the Marr Education Center at Cook Farm are open by appointment and available for group tours, meetings and events. Contact the Historical Society for details.

Special Event Rental

Group Tours