17620 John Brown Rd.
New Richmond, PA 16327
Located in the village of New Richmond, about 13 miles northeast of the city of Meadville, in Crawford County, PA, the John Brown tannery site is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is 850 feet south of state Route 77 on John Brown Road.
The half-acre site retains the foundation walls of a tannery built by John Brown decades before he became famous for his 1859 attempt to incite a slave uprising at Harpers Ferry, W. Va. He used the building for tanning animal hides into leather.
The site features all-weather display panels that interpret his contributions to the settlement of the county and his role in national events leading to the American Civil War. The site is open year round to the public without charge and is owned by the John Brown Heritage Association.
Visitors to the tannery site and museum are welcome. At this place -- amid the old stonework of the tannery walls, the peaceful ponds and woods framing the farm, the tombstones that recall family bonds and sorrows -- ponder the legacy of John Brown, a pioneer American settler and a symbol of the struggle over slavery that exploded into the Civil War.
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.