315 Dover-Milton Road
Oak Ridge, NJ 07438
First Sunday of the month from 1 - 4 pm.
Please check the website for further information. For private tours, please contact email@example.com
Closed January and February.
Christine Williams, President
Carol Keppel, Museum Director
On the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
The Jefferson Township Museum is a representation of life in Jefferson Township in the last quarter of the 19th century. Furnishings, artifacts, garments and interior decor reflect the style of the times.
In the 1870's, Amos Chamberlain, a resident of Milton Village, built another home on his property for his son George and his bride-to-be, Ruth Elizabeth Speaker. After their marriage in 1874, they moved into the new house on Dover-Milton Road and soon purchased it from Amos. Two children, Raymond and Archie, were raised in the home and attended school locally. The family remained in residence into the early 1900's. In later decades, the house was rented to various families in the extended Chamberlain family.
For more history, please see our website.
The History of the Museum Garden Club of Jefferson
The Museum Garden Club was founded in the fall of 2004 by Roberta Shaw and Christine Williams. Both women were part of the landscaping committee for the Moving Viet Nam Wall in which the township hosted as part of its bicentennial celebration. When the Wall was dismantled and moved onto its next location, the flowers and trees that had been donated were left behind as were benches. Some were sold; but many of the perennials were not suitable for sale. Shaw and Williams decided to take those half dead flowers and plant them at the township Museum and hope for the best in the next spring.
The idea to begin a garden club whose sole purpose was to develop and maintain the Museum gardens. The Museum Garden Club of Jefferson was born.
Tours of the Museum
Please call 973-697-0258 to inquire about tours of the museum. For additional information, please contact the Museum Director, Carol Keppel, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Miss Elizabeth's Shoppe
Miss Elizabeth's Shoppe, affectionately named after the first bride of the building, is located in the restored kitchen of the Jefferson Township Museum, 315 Dover-Milton Road. The Shoppe is open to the public during Museum hours. The gift shoppe features small antiques, garden items, candles and unique gifts perfect for any occasion. There are many handcrafted items from local artists, including photography, jewelry and artwork. Special food items include local jams and honey, specialty teas, organic maple syrup and organic buttermilk pancake mix from Vermont, and wild blueberries from Maine. For additional information on shoppe hours and to contact the Shoppe Manager, please email Pat Cincotta at email@example.com
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.