Street Address
330 Main Street
Downieville, CA 95936
Mailing Address
P O Box 1
Downieville, CA 95936
phone: 530-289-3580
e-mail: hangman@jps.net
Hours
Season
Open weekends, Mid May thru Mid October; open daily Memorial Day thru Labor Day. Hours: 11 am to 4pm, may close early due to inclement weather
Admissions
Free admission but donations are gratefully accepted.
Staff

Description

Located in a stone building that dates to 1852 with original iron doors and window shutters, the Downieville Museum has a collection of local artifacts that depicts the life of this community from its gold rush origins to the present day. The collection includes a variety of pictures of the community from early dates, pioneer portraits, a collection of paper goods and documents, as well as items that reflect 160 years of life in this community and surrounding area. A set of gold scales from an early business and a display with artifacts of the local Chinese community are some of the more interesting items on display.

Books on local history are also available for sale. The museum dates from 1932 when the building it is housed in was donated to the community by the heirs of JMB Meroux, an early pioneer. The original museum collection was initiated by former Sheriff George Bynon. Since its opening, the museum has been continuously operated by Naomi Parlor 36 of the Native Daughters of the Golden West and Downieville Parlor 62, Native Sons of the Golden West.

History

Library

Access: General Public

Appointment required: Yes