100 Valmont Drive
Nebraska City, NE 69410
PO Box 785
Nebraska City, NE 68410
Please visit our website or call for the most recent schedule.
Seniors (over 65): $4.50
Military and Veterans (with ID): $4
College Students (): Free
Children under 5: Free
Special Event Rental
Opal Spidell, Office Manager
Education through time-honored methods of observation and discovery is the central mission of this interactive center and adjoining hiking trails. The flora and fauna (178 new plants and 122 new animals) and scientific discoveries recorded by the Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804-1806) are the focus of the Center. This theme is exciting and unique because no other museum or interpretive center in the nation, existing or planned, focuses on the captains’ amazing scientific discoveries.
People of all ages will learn through interactive participation and you-are-there experiences. The exhibits and displays were designed with the expert advice of the University of Nebraska’s distinguished professor, Dr. Gary Moulton, the nation’s definitive scholar on the Lewis & Clark Journals, who served as the Center’s first In-Resident Scholar.
- Hiking trails: Hike any or all of the hiking trails on the property (weather permitting).
- Earth Lodge Trail: Hard surfaced (patio to earth lodge) over grassland
- Birding Trail: Woodchip surface, between Center and river overlook, through timber
- DeBruce River Overlook Trail: Woodchip surface patio to overlook, through timber
- Limestone Bluff Trail: Partial woodchip, partial forest floor, connects earth lodge to river overlook, in timber
- Meadow Trail: Grass surface, 2+miles (options for shorter distance), connects picnic area at South end of lot with the area on West side of property
- Visit a full sized replica Native American Earth Lodge: Interpretation brochure available at registration desk
- Visit the area where the Missouri River Re-enacting Corps have built a log cabin: Where they are carving out a cottonwood canoe and where they re enact during the PM on the 2nd Sunday of each month from May to October.
- Indoor exhibits: Three floors of Interactive exhibits suitable for all ages
- Lewis & Clark movie: 32 min. in length, tells the story of the river and the expedition
Two Picnic Areas: One near the building and one at the South end of the parking lot
The Center has spaces to rent for meetings, parties, weddings and wedding receptions and other types of gatherings. There is a classroom with tables and padded chairs that can seat approximately 20 people. A theater, with audio-visual equipment, large roll-down screen, adjustable lighting and seating for approximately 50 people is also available. In addition there is a large meeting room for dinners, receptions and other such gatherings. It can be equipped with 8’ round tables that can seat 8 people. The maximum number for a sit down meal would be 128 people. There is a kitchen for food preparation (stove, refrigerator and microwave) but no food service. A list of local caterers is available by calling the Center.
Gift Shop/Bookstore: Good selection of Lewis & Clark books, maps, clothing, and other related item for all ages.
Special Event Rental
This information, including business hours, addresses and contact information is provided for general reference purposes only. No representation is made or warranty is given as to its content or the reliability thereof. User assumes all risk of use. Stories USA, Inc. and its content suppliers assume no responsibility for any loss or delay resulting from such use. Please call ahead to verify the dates, the location and directions.