Street Address
107 Chapel Street
Penn Yan, NY 14527
Mailing Address
107 Chapel Street
Penn Yan, NY 14527
phone: 315-536-7318
e-mail: ycghs@yatespast.org
web: www.yatespast.org
Hours
Saturdays by appointment
Tuesday - Friday9 AM - 4 PM
The museums are closed Sundays, Mondays, all major holidays and when local public schools are closed due to the weather
Admissions
no charge. Research is $5 per hour.
Staff
John H. Potter, Executive Director
Chuck Mitchell, Curator
Lisa Harper, Administrative Assistant

Description

Our Society fulfills this mission by: Operating an active museum; gathering objects and recorded information; developing interpretive exhibits; assisting the public to assure accessibility and answer inquiries; providing interactive, educational programs; managing the collections while insuring preservation and protection and coordinating all resources including fostering community partnerships.

The Oliver house is also home to a long-term exhibit that tells the important story of Jemima Wilkinson known as the Public Universal Friend. Jemima was the first American born woman to found a religious movement and brought the earliest settlers to the area. A second long-term exhibit showcases the Society’s collection of Native American objects. Families with children are welcome. The museum has lots of things to make exploring and learning fun for kids.

Guided and self-guided tours are available during regular hours. We will happily accommodate large groups by appointment. $5.00 research room use fee for non-members; photocopying additional

History

The Yates County Genealogical and Historical Society, originally incorporated in 1860, had been actively collecting for over 80 years before it found a permanent home. In 1946, the Village of Penn Yan turned over rooms in the Oliver House (willed to the village by Carrie Oliver) for use as a museum. In July of 1948, the Society officially opened the door to their new museum. Today, there are over 500 members in the Society. A staff of four plus a cadre of volunteers oversee two museums: The Oliver House Museum and the L. Caroline Underwood Museum.

Library

Access: General Public, Students, Scholars, Members

Appointment required: No

Publications

Yates Past 6 times a year