Street Address
31 High Street
Waterford, PA 16441
Mailing Address
Box 622
Waterford, PA 16441
Hours
April through October
PLEASE NOTE: The museum is open the FIRST and THIRD Saturday.
Saturday11 AM - 2 PM
and by appointment. To make an appointment you may call Darlene Hunt at 814-796-6105.
Admissions
Free. Donations Accepted.
Staff
Ken Lewis, President
Robert J Catlin, Sr, Web Master

Description

The Museum is located next door to the Judson House. The Museum is now owned by the Historical Society and is part of the Historical Society Complex. Built on the site of the original French fort, this modern building includes numerous exhibits on the Indians who lived here, the French and British fur trade, and archeological excavations of the site that was conducted by Edinboro University.

Mission

The Fort LeBoeuf Historical Society is dedicated to collecting, protecting, and preserving the history of the Waterford area for the interest and education of present and future generations. We are a non-profit organization and rely on the businesses and members of the Waterford Community for our funding.

History

The Fort LeBoeuf Historical Society was formed in 1975. Our goal was to purchase and preserve the Eagle Hotel, which we have done When we acquired it, this historic landmark was in very poor condition and in danger of being torn down.

After years of renovation, the hotel now houses the Sugar 'n Spice Restaurant on the first floor, and museum rooms, our office and additional dining space on the second floor.

Restoration of the third floor ballroom is nearly completed, and will provide more space for our various collections. In addition, we manage the Judson House and the Fort LeBoeuf Museum both located across the street from the Eagle Hotel.

Facilities

Other Points of Interest

The Judson House is located at 103 South High Street, Waterford, PA 16441. The Judson House is an outstanding example of early local architecture. This stately building, furnished in circa 1840 style, is open for tours from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on the first and third Saturday from April through October, and at other times by appointment. Its library houses our extensive genealogy collection, and we get visitors from all over the country, who come to trace their ancestry.

The Eagle Hotel is located at 102 South High Street, Waterford, PA 16441. After years of renovation, the hotel now houses the Sugar 'n Spice Restaurant on the first floor, and museum rooms, our office and additional dining space on the second floor. Restoration of the third floor ballroom is nearly completed, and will provide more space for our various collections.

Brotherton's Bridge (also known as the Old Kissing Bridge)is about a mile and a half from town, one of the three remaining covered bridges in Erie County crosses Le Boeuf Creek. The bridge is a 78 foot long and 15 foot wide Town lattice truss covered bridge. It was built in 1875 by Charles and James Phelps and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 17, 1980. The bridge was documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1936. It is the only Town lattice truss bridge in Erie County and one of only nineteen in Pennsylvania.

George Washington Statue: Wanting to memorialize Washington's visit, the George Washington Monument was erected in 1922 by the citizens of Waterford, PA at a cost of $13,000. It was situated upon the site of the original Fort LeBoeuf, which was in the middle of High Street between the Eagle Hotel and the historic Judson House. The monument was moved in 1945 to the lot beside the Eagle Hotel. What makes this monument unique? This is the only statue of Washington wearing a British uniform in Pennsylvania.

Governance

Fort LeBoeuf Historical Society

Library

Access: General Public

Appointment required: Yes

Publications

We publish a newsletter quarterly in January, April, July and October. The publications may be read on our web site at: www.fortleboeufhistoricalsociety.org/newsletters.html

    ADA

    Parking