Street Address
2nd Avenue
Apollo, PA 15613
Mailing Address
2nd Avenue
Apollo, PA 15613
Staff

Description

The Apollo Area Historical Society, located in Apollo PA maintains Drake's Log Cabin, and the local historical museum, located in the old W.C.T.U. building.

Drake's Log Cabin was believed to have been built in 1816, and is the only remnant of the original permanent settlement which eventually grew into the Borough of Apollo. The earliest deed to the property, dated 1862, shows that the cabin was owned by Mrs. Sarah Drake. Drake's Log Cabin is the oldest building in Apollo Borough, and one of the oldest in Armstrong County. In March of 1983, the cabin was added to the National Registry of Historical Places. In 1970, the cabin was purchased from Mrs. Samuel Wilson for $1000, and the Apollo Area Historical Society was born.

The Women's Christian Temperance Union was organized in 1864 under the direction of Miss Frances Willard. The goal of the organization was "total abstinence for the individual and sobriety for the nation." The W.C.T.U. also held steadfastly to another purpose - a campaign of education.In 1909, the W.C.T.U. building was erected as the W.C.T.U. headquarters and to provide a suitable space for a public library. The building was home to Armstrong County's first library, the Apollo Free Library, from 1911 until 1965 when the new Apollo Memorial Library was built on Pennsylvania Ave.In 1997, Apollo Borough purchased the building from the State W.C.T.U. Organization, and the following year, turned the building over to the Apollo Area Historical Society to be used as a meeting place and local historical museum.

History

Founded 1970