Street Address
2341 East High St.
Pottstown, PA 19464
Mailing Address
2341 East High St.
Pottstown, PA 19464
Hours
Meetings
Second Wednesday of every month @ 7:30 pm except Jan., Feb., and Aug.
Admissions
Free. Donations Accepted.
Staff
Beth Scherer, President

Description

The Sanatoga Chapel

The headquarters of The Lower Pottsgrove Historical Society are located in the old Sanatoga Chapel. It was built in 1891 and was originally known as The Sanatoga Union Sunday School.

Mission

The Lower Pottsgrove Historical Society was originally founded on Sept. 10, 1985, in order to provide opportunities for area residents to explore their heritage; to conduct programs, projects and activities to help further the preservation of the community; to investigate the history and keep a library of important memorabilia of the community; and to assist in the restoration and maintenance of historic buildings in Lower Pottsgrove Township.

History

The Sanatoga Union Sunday School was constructed through the determination of its congregation. The land for the building site was donated by Samuel J. Kurtz, the author of Sanatoga's first history. Digging matches were held each evening, after the day's work was done, to excavate for the cellar. The stones, bricks, sand, and lime used in erecting the chapel were donated and brought to the site by volunteers. In order to raise money for the construction, lectures, plays, and musical programs were planned. Finally, on May 10, 1891, the doors of the Chapel were opened and their dream realized. It is that same determination that drives the Society today to continue to restore and maintain the Chapel as a public museum. After obtaining the deed in March 1991, meetings of the Society were resumed in July. Since that time, the restoration of the chapel has been the lone goal of our fund raising efforts.

Artifacts Collections

The interior of the Chapel

There are many great photos of both Sanatoga Park and Ringing Rocks Park during their heyday. We have display cases with memorabilia from the trolley era, as well as the days of the Sanatoga Race Track. We also have photos and memorabilia from the 1976 Bicentennial Wagon Train Encampment in Saylor's Field.

ADA

Wheelchair Accessible