Street Address
2 Paper Mill Road
Newtown Square, PA 19073
Mailing Address
PO Box 3
Newtown Square, PA 19073
Hours
The Paper Mill House Museum is open July and August, Saturdays 1-4 PM and other times throughout the year by appointment.
Saturday1 PM - 4 PM
Admissions
Free
Free. Donations Accepted.
Staff
Douglas P. Humes, President
phone: 610-525-7150

Description

The Paper Mill House and Museum originally provided housing, in the 1800's for industrial workers who worked in the mills along Darby Creek. A large addition was added circa 1820. The older section was converted to a general store, circa 1845, to provide for the needs of the workers. Darby Creek runs through the property to the east of the building. The building, now owned by Newtown Township, has been restored to house The Newtown Township Historical Preservation Society and its permanent historical exhibits. The 1st floor is colonial reproduction and gift shop with the 2nd floor housing the Newtown history exhibits. Mill remains can be found throughout the property.

History

The Society was incorporated in 1985, but traces its roots to the founding of the Marple Newtown Historical Society in 1960.

Artifacts Collections

1850's era general store and museum of local history related to 19th century mills, millers and millworkers along Darby Creek.

Library

Access: Staff Only

Appointment required: No