Street Address
29100 West River Rd.
Perrysburg, OH 43552
Mailing Address
PO Box 3
Perrysburg, OH 43552
phone: 419-874-4121
fax: 419-874-9446
e-mail: rfinch@ohiohistory.org
web: www.fortmeigs.org
Services
Gift Shop
Special Event Rental
Group Tours
Staff
R. Finch, Director

Description

William Henry Harrison built Fort Meigs on the Maumee River in 1813 to protect northwest Ohio and Indiana from British invasion. Today's reconstruction is one of the largest log forts in America. British and Canadian troops, assisted by Indians under Tecumseh, besieged the fort twice. The 10-acre log enclosure with 7 blockhouses and 5 emplacements presented a formidable defense. The first assault was in May of 1813 and the second was in July. Both failed and the British retreated after the second. In the spring of 2003, the fort underwent a major renovation and the construction of a Museum and Education Center.

The Museum and Education Center has 3,000 square feet of exhibits and artifacts - including soldiers' letters and diaries, weapons, maps, and uniforms - that describe Fort Meigs role during the War of 1812. Exhibits themes include The Lore of the Land, The Sixty Year War for Ohio, and Building Fort Meigs. Original artifacts from the War of 1812, including swords, uniforms, and maps highlight the events of the war and the impact it had on soldiers and thier families. Exhibits will emphasize hands-on and interpretive learning opportunities for students and families, as well as workshop and curriculum resources for teachers. The building also includes a gift shop, classroom and conference room.

The site is accredited by the American Association of Museums.

Services

Gift Shop

Special Event Rental

Group Tours