Street Address
1420 South 78th Street
Kansas City, KS 66111
Mailing Address
1420 South 78th Street
Kansas City, KS 66111
Hours
Wednesday - Saturday9:30 AM - 5 PM
Admissions
$3 adults; $1 students; KSHS, Inc., members and children five and under admitted free
Staff
Joe Brentano, Site Administrator
phone: 913-299-0373

Description

The first permanent white settler in Wyandotte County was Moses Grinter. He built Grinter House in 1857 which is now a National Historical Site which overlooks the Kansas River.

From 1855 to 1860 Moses Grinter operated a trading post, a business that sold about one hundred sixty types of goods (clothing, powder and bullets, perfume, sugar, and scissors, among other things) to the Delawares in exchange for cash and furs. The Grinters also farmed, raised poultry and livestock, and planted an apple orchard on their farmstead. During the Civil War one of their sons served in the Fifteenth Kansas Calvary.

Mission

The mission is to preserve Grinter Place and to interpret the interaction of cultures, through the lives of Annie and Moses Grinter, in 19th century Kansas to diverse audience.

History

Moses Grinter died in 1878, and upon the death of Annie in 1905 their son-in-law and daughter, Reverend Henry C. and Martha V. Grinter Kirby, moved into the residence. Henry and Martha's daughter sold the residence and land in 1950 to a family who owned and operated a chicken-dinner restaurant on the site until the mid-1960s. Through the assistance of the Junior League of Kansas City, Kansas and the Grinter Place Friends, the State of Kansas acquired the site in 1971 and now administers the former Grinter residence as a state historic site.

ADA

Wheelchair Accessible