Street Address
8 East Main Street
Avon, CT 06001
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 448
Avon, CT 06001
Sunday2 PM - 5 PM
June through September or by appointment.
Donation requested.
Gift Shop
Online Gift Shop
Ms. Terri Wilson, President
phone: 860-678-7621


Currently the Society's projects include full restoration of the Derrin House on West Avon Road, proper storage of many artifacts in the Living Museum and Pine Grove Schoolhouse, answering local history questions, giving referrals to those who seek "experts" to help with their historic home or genealogy questions, publishing a newsletter and planning fundraising events. The Society belongs to the Farmington Valley Visitors Association, Connecticut League of History Organizations, Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation.


Founded in 1974, the Avon Historical Society is an all volunteer, nonprofit organization devoted to the conservation of Avon's historical and cultural past and its educational relevance to our life. Membership in The Avon Historical Society is open to the public.


The first settlers came to town in 1666 and founded an area called "Nod." By the 1700's, Avon was known as the Northington Parish of Farmington - "Northington," meaning "North of Farmington." Harsh winters eventually forced Northington to petition for "winter privileges" that would allow its residents to build their own meetinghouse, "The Lord's Barn," for use during the winter months. A split in the congregation occurred after the burning of this original structure in 1817 and resulted in the formation of two Congregational churches. Soon, thereafter, a Baptist church was organized. In 1830, Northington, increasingly independent of its parent community, petitioned the General Assembly to become a separate town. In May of 1830, Avon was officially incorporated under its new name.


Access: General Public

Appointment required: No


Quarterly newsletters available on the website.


    Gift Shop

    Online Gift Shop