Street Address
258 Main Street
Ridgefield, CT 06877
Mailing Address
258 Main Street
Ridgefield, CT 06877
phone: 203-438-4519
fax: 203-438-0198
e-mail: eventnews@aldrichart.org
web: www.aldrichart.org
Admissions
Seniors and students $4, Adults $7, Children under 12 free, Tuesdays free
Museum Type(s)
Art
Staff
Deirdre Fitzgerald Ayala, Museum Secretary
Richard Klein, Exhibitions Director

Description

Art exhibitions at The Aldrich challenge visitors to shift their perspectives and re-think their definitions of art. Our shows usually feature significant work by emerging and mid-career artists, though we occasionally present important works by widely-known, established artists as well. We aspire to provide a vital cultural resource for our community, with special attention to developing world-class, innovative museum education programs.

History

Founded in 1964 by dress designer and passionate collector of contemporary art, Larry Aldrich (1906-2001). Initially located in an 18th-Century house in Ridgefield's historic district, the Larry Aldrich Museum opened on November 7, 1964, as one of the first museums in the United States devoted solely to the exhibition of contemporary art. Incorporated as a nonprofit organization and renamed The Aldrich Museum of Contemporary Art in 1967. On September 20, 2001, The Aldrich Board of Trustees, with Larry Aldrich, Chairman Emeritus, in attendance, voted unanimously to proceed with a major renovation and expansion. Groundbreaking took place on April 29, 2003, closing the Museum to the public during its construction phase, from September 2003 until June 13, 2004. The expanded Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum reopened on June 13, 2004, coinciding with the Museum's 40th anniversary.

Governance

Private non-profit governed by a board of directors

ADA

Wheelchair Accessible