Street Address
34 High Street
Milford, CT 06460
Mailing Address
34 High Street
Milford, CT 06460
phone: 203-874-2664
web: www.milfordhistoricalsociety.org
Hours
June through Columbus Day
Sunday, Saturday1 PM - 4 PM
Admissions
Free
Services
Gift Shop
Special Event Rental
Staff
Ardienne Damicis, President
Susan Carroll Dwyer, Vice President
phone: 203-218-3655

Description

The Milford Historical Society is open to all people interested in the unique history of Milford.

The Country Store is open during the visiting hours of The Milford Historical Society and during special events. We carry children's toys, books on Milford's history, maps of old Milford, crafts and gifts.

The Eells-Stow House c. 1700

The Eells-Stow House is believed to be the oldest house in Milford and takes part of its name from the Eells family, who arrived in Milford in the later 17th century from the Boston area.

The oldest part of the house has now been restored by replacing clapboards, sheathing, diamond-pane casement windows and interior refurbishing. This restoration has repaired the Eells-Stow House so that it is now structurally sound and presents an historic building to the people of Milford which, along with the Bryan-Downs House and the Stockade House, represents Milford's proud past. The Eells-Stow House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The Clark-Stockade House c. 1780

The "Stockade House", so named many years ago, was traditionally the first house built outside the stockade or palisades which surrounded the town of Milford against Indians. The original house was moved to its present site in 1974 from Bridgeport Avenue near the hospital. This house was begun by Deacon George Clark about 1659 and grew in several stages to a saltbox style house.

Our building, as you see it today, is still being restored. Ongoing projects are the reconstruction of the original six-fireplace center chimney with its beehive and warming ovens, the paneling, the winding front stairway and the bookcase. The Clark-Stockade House displays many interesting pieces of Milford furniture, including the Marion Buckingham Tibbals collection, and items from the Platt, Beard, Camp and Eells families

The Bryan-Downs House c. 1785

Originally built by Captain Jehiel Bryan and his son on the Post Road between Milford and New Haven, near today's Kings Highway Cemetery, this house was dismantled and rebuilt as you see it today. Jehiel Bryan, Jr. wed Mary Treat in April, 1784 and they took up residence in their new six-room salt-box house. Their daughter, Mary Esther, married Ebenezer Downs of Woodbury and lived in the old family home also.

The Claude C. Coffin Indian Collection is at the south side of the first floor. There is also a "Country Store" and a small meeting room on that floor. On the second floor will be a Victorian parlor and bedroom, a textile storage space and our small reference room.

History

The Milford Historical Society was founded in 1930. It is a private, non-profit group dedicated to the preservation of Milford's history as well as educational programs. The Society has three historic homes on its grounds.

Artifacts Collections

Early American Furniture, Native American artifacts, and Textiles.

  • The Claude C. Coffin Indian Collection
  • Other Milford Historical Society collections include interesting pieces of Milford furniture, from the Marion Buckingham Tibbals collection, and items from the Platt, Beard, Camp and Eells families.
  • In addition to our permanent exhibits in all three houses, each year our talented members create special exhibits related to Milford history and our collections.

Educational Programs

Educational tours of the houses on the grounds. Lectures about local History.

    Facilities

    THE HERB GARDEN AND HERBCRAFTERS

    In 1967, the Wepawaug Garden Club planned and planted a 17th Century Herb Garden on the south lawn of the Eells Stow House.

    Library

    Access: Members

    Appointment required: Yes

    Publications

    The Wharf Lane Newsletter

      Services

      THE COUNTRY STORE AND GIFT SHOP

      The Country Store is open during regular visiting hours of The Milford Historical Society and special events. We carry children's toys, books on Milford's history, maps of old Milford, crafts and gifts. The Country Store also has an exhibit of many old grocery containers and store-related items.

      Gift Shop

      Special Event Rental