Street Address
103 Monastery Street
Sitka, AK 99835
Mailing Address
Sitka, AK 99835
phone: 907-747-0110
fax: 907-747-5938
web: www.nps.gov/sitk/
Hours
Open year round (Call about hours).
Admissions
No admission fee at Visitor Center. $3 admission at Bishop's House.
Museum Type(s)
Staff

Description

The museum collection includes Tlingit ethnographic items, Tlingit and Haida totem poles, Russian American historical and archaeological collections, historical photographs, archives and herbarium specimens. The park's Visitor's Center features exhibits on Tlingit culture, and a slide program on the 1804 "Battle of Sitka." A wing of the Visitor Center houses the Southeast Alaska Indian Cultural Center, Inc., an independent organization of Tlingit artists who demonstrate and teach traditional wood and silver carving, (see below). An extensive collection of historic Tlingit and Haida totem poles, originally brought to Sitka by Alaska's first territorial governor, border the park trail along Sitka Sound. Also within park grounds is the site where Kiksadi Tlingit fought the Russians in 1804, before establishing Sitka as capital of Russian America. The Russian Bishop's House, a National Historic Landmark in the care of Sitka National Historical Park, is one of four original Russian structures remaining in North America. Exhibits on its first floor interpret Russian American fur trade in Alaska, and the roles of the Russian American Company and Russian Orthodox Church. Located in downtown Sitka on Lincoln Street, the house's second floor is restored to its 1850s' appearance with original and period furnishings.