Street Address
212 West Main Street
Barrington, IL 60010
Mailing Address
212 West Main Street
Barrington, IL 60010
phone: 847-381-1730
web: www.BarringtonHistoryMuseum.org
Hours
EXHIBIT HOURS
By Appointment Only; Please Call 847.381.1730
MUSEUM STORE HOURS
Tuesday - Saturday10 AM - 4 PM
Applebee House Tour
by Appointment only Please Call 847.381.1730
Admissions

Museum Exhibits: $5 per person

Applebee House Tour: $5 per person

Discounted Rates for Members

Services
Gift Shop
Group Tours
Staff
Michael Harkins, President
phone: 847-381-1730

Description

2 Restored Victorian Folk Homes

The Applebee House: Built by Gilbert A. Applebee in 1889 on the site of an earlier home then burned in 1888. The elaborate porch and conservatory were restored in 1988. The first floor has been restored as a complete turn-of-the-century living quarters museum.

The Donlea-Kincaid House: This folk Victorian style house was built in 1898 for Mrs. Patrick Donlea. This house is an excellent example of the vernacular architectural style from the late Victorian period, typical of the Barrington area.

Working Blacksmith Shop

Blacksmith in ACTION! Call or Times and More Information. Stop by for special demonstrations and view the craft of the Blacksmith. Check Web Site and Facebook for Program.

Jewel Tea Welcome Center

Current Exhibit Bowmen Dairy Exhibit

Museum Exhibit Center

The Story of Mary & Daniel Gilly of Barrington

Mission

The Barrington History Museum's mission is to collect,preserve, document, and exhibit the history of this area and to provide specialized education programs from pre-school through adult.

History

The Barrington History Museum, formally the Barrington Area Historical Society was founded in 1968 by local residents dedicated to preserving the history and culture of the Barrington area. Since that time, the Museum has become an integral part of the Barrington area communities. Currently the Museum operates from two restored folk Victorian houses on Main Street in Barrington. The Society's Store is located on the first floor of the Donlea-Kincaid House. The Museum's offices are located on the second-floor of the Applebee House.

In 1999 the original Wichman Blacksmith Shop dating back to 1929 was moved from its original location on Station Street in downtown Barrington to the grounds of the Barrington History Museum and located behind the the Donlea-Kincaid House. The Creet Carriage Barn, a Forge, and lobby area were added to the Blacksmith Shop to create a historical streetscape. The Applebee House, Donlea-Kincaid House, Blacksmith Shop, Creet Carriage Barn, Forge, Exhibit Center and Applebee One Room Schoolhouse now comprises the museum complex known as Old Barrington Center.

Artifacts Collections

  • Local Barrington History
  • Jewel Tea Historical Collection

Research Collections

Written research request required - fees associated with usage.

Educational Programs

Grade School and Middle School Programs.

ONE-ROOM SCHOOL HOUSE PROGRAM - Call for details

    Facilities

    2 Restored Victorian Folk Homes

    Working Blacksmith Shop

    Museum Exhibit Center

    Jewel Tea Welcome Center

    Governance

    501(c)3 Charity - Privately Owned and operated by Volunteers and Members

    Library

    Access: Scholars, Staff Only, Members

    Appointment required: Yes

    Publications

    • The Town Crier - Our upcoming Events
    • From the Archives - historic articles and / or documents from Barrington's past

    ADA

    ADA compliant for Main Museum Exhibit Center

    Wheelchair Accessible

    Parking

    Restrooms

    Services

    CALL US FOR YOUR CUSTOM BUS TOUR

    Please Call 847.381.1730 FOR MORE INFORMATION!

    Museum Store

    Check Back Often For Rare and Antique Books, and Some Other Great Items To Support The Barrington History Museum.

    Gift Shop

    Group Tours