Street Address
4981 S Union Ave
Tulsa, OK 74107
Mailing Address
6303 S 30 W Ave
Tulsa, OK 74132
phone: 918-445-9260
e-mail: CrimeDet@aol.com
web: www.southwesttulsa.org
Staff
Roy Heim, Founding President, since July 9, 1992
phone: 918-445-9260
Sherry Heim, Museum Founder
phone: 918-445-9260

Description

Southwest Tulsa features a long section of Historic Route 66, Jones-Riverside Airport, Tulsa Hills Shopping Center, The Oaks and Page Belcher Golf Courses, OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine, Tulsa Community College West Campus, a wide range of neighborhoods and schools. The Route 66 Village transportation theme park is located on Southwest Boulevard. It features the restored Frisco 4500 Meteor Train with a Murray Hill Business Car and Frisco 1157 Caboose.

The society has commissioned and partnered with OETA in the production of WPA, Road to Recovery, a film about the WPA projects in northeast Oklahoma, featuring people and family members from the Southwest Tulsa area.

Route 66 Village

The Route 66 Village is a City of Tulsa transporation theme park open to the public. It is located at 3770 S Southwest Boulevard across from Daniel Webster High School. The location is also on Historic Route 66 and has become a very popular stop for "Mother Road" travelers.

The park features the restored Frisco 4500 Meteor Train with Tulsa-Sapulpa Union Murray Hill Business Car, Weyerhaueser Tank Car and Frisco 1157 Caboose. The train has been popular with young and old alike. North America's tallest oil derrick is in the center of the park. It is 154' tall, eclipsing the former giant in Canada that rose to 148' tall. On the east side of the park is a Muskogee "Creek" Nation Council Oak Tree Sapling honoring the Muskogee Indian Nation who originally settled the land.

Mission

The main purpose of the society is the collection and preservation of Southwest Tulsa history. While there is no museum, the society members have a presence on the internet at www.southwesttulsa.org; Facebook at Southwest Tulsa History and personal contacts through president Roy Heim at CrimeDet@aol.com.

History

The Southwest Tulsa Historical Society was founded on July 9, 1992 at a meeting in Ollie's Station Restaurant, 4070 Southwest Boulevard. The society has been holding monthly meetings at the restaurant and Carbondale Church of Christ for 20 years.